Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Black Widow Spider Queen Inner Border

I am hip-deep in designing the shawl borders, with Knit Visualizer, Photoshop, and CorelDraw to help me out.

Here's the math. The inner square is 179x179 stitches. The outer border is centered on 50 stitches, so that 99 stitches is a full mirror repeat. I therefore need 198 stitches to begin the outer border.

If I do a YO every other row at the corners, I'll need about 20 rows of knitting to get to 190 stitches.

I looked at the slapped-together composite, and decided that, because both the center and the outer borders are quite busy, the inner border should be a bit restful.

Here are two choices. The first one is a simple, linear strip, while the second offsets the little motif to add just a bit of movement.




I am leaning towards the second choice, mainly because I dislike static stripes. And it sort of looks like bouncing, baby spiders to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bouncing baby spiders! I love it!Anonymous was quicker but it's Jez from KR

Arachnera said...

I like the second choice, too. Baby spiders!

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

Second one would be my choice. Maybe you can re-name the shawl "Bouncing Baby Spider Shawl"?

Debby said...

Wow, blows my mind. Beautiful but way beyond what I could ever do. You are quite talented my dear