Friday, February 9, 2007

Gingerbread Castle


This charming sampler is from Barbara Walker's A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns. It's an especially good learning piece for an advanced beginner who wants to taste more complex techniques without devoting months (and dollars) to the experience. It would also be sweet knitted into the front of a children's sweater.

Of course, having knit it, I have absolutely no use for it. Won't work as as potholder, handkerchief, or tent. Into the swatch drawer with it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the castle. I have looked at it many times but been daunted by the long written instructions. Kudo's

AnneV said...

I haven't checked whether they've got so far yet, but why not donate it here? http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

Swatch sampler afgan :-)

hakucho said...

The castle is too beautiful not use! I second the swatch sampler afghan or it could be a center of a log cabin blanket. Just had to put my two cents worth in. It really is lovely :)

happy knitting :)

fleegle said...

You guys want me to spend the next year knitting an AFGHAN? I don't like knitted afghans. My toes poke through them and they are heavy.

And this swatch was knitted with white silk. I have pounds of it left over from my weaving days and I use it for swatching strange objects like this one.

Perhaps a little pillow?

Experimental Knitter said...

If not a little pillow, then what about a dresser scarf or whatever you call it, put a piece of clear crystal on it so the pattern shows, and the swatch keeps the wooden furniture from scratching? People used to crochet doilies for this purpose.