Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dremel Guy Strikes Again~

I rather enjoy knitting with beads, although it does slow me down, mostly because of the small number of beads that will fit onto a normal crochet hook. Cheeto here, will demonstrate.

First, you whisk the hook around in the little bead pot. If you're lucky, you'll snag four beads.


After placing these little guys onto your lovely knitted object, you do some more fishing....


And once more..................



And again.......................................


After the eleventy-millionth fishing expedition of the day, I stared at the crochet hook for a few minutes. ....gotta be a way...mumble mumble...., of course!  fleegle yells for...............

Dremel Guy!

Dremel Guy flashed into the room wearing his Formal Socks, a Cape of Invincibility (tm), a Really Old T-shirt, and, of course, his hand-held Miracle Machine! After whisking my hook away, he returned an hour later with this:



Both Cheeto and I were thrilled with the result....


The hook's not much good for crocheting anymore, but the last time I used a size 13 crochet hook to actually crochet was, um, let's see.........scribble........scratch........scribble..........never gonna tell them that number.....Suffice it to say, a long time ago. And I have a spare just in case I take up doilies again. Heh.

24 comments:

LittleBerry said...

nice one!

Anonymous said...

Knitting problems are definitely the source of great engineering solutions!

JelliDonut said...

Brilliant!

pinkskatinggirl said...

Dremel guy doesn't wear pants under his cloak of invisibility (tm)?

Brilliant solution!

Deborah said...

I love it! What a great modification!

yarnlot said...

Dremel Roy did it again! But how to prevent the other beads from sliding off the hook when you slide off the first bead?
Usually I pick up bead after bead from a small and rather long container so that there is a bead on my hook every time I fish vigorously...

Deborah said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. The water WAS glorious. Now it is full of oil. :( I suspect my knitting at the beach days are pretty much over.

Deborah said...

It makes me cry too.

gayle said...

Love the photos of your valiant helper. He looks so much more cheerful at the end, with the new updated tool.
Bead on!

Soo said...

Clever!!!!!!

Susan (and SmokeyBlue in spirit) said...

Very cool. How does this new dremel method compare to the dental floss method?

June said...

Why make do when you can do better?! Great DIY solution.

Anonymous said...

OOOOh! That practically makes my heart skip a beat!

Carol said...

ooh. clever.

LittleBerry said...

Thank you :o) you might like
Leisure Arts #3853, Mary's Doilies
by Mary Werst - they seem slightly more ocmplicated and intrictae

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

You'll be rich, I tell you, RICH! Gonna sell on Etsy?

Delusional Knitter said...

That is awesome, what a brilliant idea! Thanks to Cheeto for displaying your fabulous creation!

Lacefreak said...

As always, you do what you have to in order to get the job done! Now where is my sisters Dremmel.....

knittingdragonflies said...

I'm knitting with beads right now, and have been playing with trying to make a wire hook, your solution is perfect!
Thanks
Vicki

Paul & Carla said...

Very good. Now you have an in-line #13 crochet hook, or something close to it. Just THINK of all the teeny little, extra-cute crocheted bullions you can make with that hook now. Or not.

Experimental Knitter said...

Wonder how I can convince DH to Dremel my hooks for me.

Batty said...

Ha! I'm not an adult woman with no children and a surprising amount of stuffed animals. I am the owner of a vast collection of craft tools. There, I now feel much better.

Unknown said...

I was knitting with beads one time and when I went fishing I felt like my beads were being repelled by my crochet hook.

I think my crochet hook had been magnetised by being stuck on a pattern keeper magnet for many many months, and it was pushing all those little beads away instead of attracting them. I liked my theory, even if it is scientifically flawed!

Unknown said...

What a great tutorial and love your little friend/helper!! One of our members mentioned what a great tutorial you had (http://creatingthehive.com/blog-post/3055/soul-hat#comment4378) and she was so right. Thanks!